Integrating VouchSafe with Joomla
To get started with VouchSafe, you need to do the following:
- Create an account and register your domain with us to get a public / private key pair for your website.
- Download the VouchSafe plugin for Joomla from the VouchSafe downloads page.
The guide below will give you step-by-step instructions for installing and configuring VouchSafe on your Joomla website or blog.
- Log into the administration console on your Joomla site, (yoursitename.com/administrator). In this document, we're showing screen shots fro Jomla 1.5. The process is exactly the same for Joomla 1.7, but be sure to download and install the correct version of the plugin for your installation of Joomla.
- Select “Install/Uninstall” from the Extensions menu.
- On the install tab of the Extension Manager, select “Choose File” and browse to find the joomla_vouchsafe.zip file. Press “Upload & Install” to upload the package to your server.
- Once the file has uploaded and been unpacked, you should see the “Install Plugin Success” message for the VouchSafe plugin.
- Now we need to configure the VouchSafe plugin. Select “Plugin Manager” from the Extensions menu.
- Depending on how many plugins your system has installed, you may have to scroll down to find the VouchSafe plugin. You should find it listed as “System-VouchSafe”. Click on the plugin name to open the configuration panel for the plugin.
- This should open the VouchSafe configuration panel.
- If you haven’t already done so, log into your account on console.vouchsafe.com. If you don’t have an account, register for one by clicking on the “Register” tab.
- Once you’ve registered, you’ll have the option to change your password, or to create a new key pair. Press the “Create a new KeySet” button to set up VouchSafe for your domain.
- You’ll be presented with the management pop-up for a new keyset. Here you can type in your top-level domain name, and configure the way VouchSafe will be presented on your website. In general, you should not select the “Global” option, (this is for use where you want to be able to publish VouchSafe validated content on other websites).
You can select the button style, the interface style, and the background color for the VouchSafe pop-up. When you’re done, press the “Create KeySet” button to generate a key pair for your domain.
- You should now see the new key pair for your domain, (shown highlighted in the image below). These are the values you need to copy into the plugin configuration form on your Joomla website. You can always change the settings for your site later on by logging back into your account and pressing the “Edit” button for your keyset. If you wish, you can manage multiple domains from the same VouchSafe account by simply creating new keysets.
- Now simply paste your key values into the configuration screen for the VouchSafe plugin, and select whether you want it to validate comments, user registration, or both, (we recommend both).
And that’s it. If you attempt to create a new user account or to leave a comment on a blog post, you should now see the VouchSafe button just above the submit button for the form. If you click on the button, the VouchSafe challenge should appear with the color combinations you selected. In the picture shown here, we’re using the “gunmetal” interface with a black overlay.