Integrating VouchSafe with phpBB
To get started with VouchSafe, you need to do the following:
- Create an account and register your domain with us to get a public / private key pair for your website.
- Download the VouchSafe package for phpBB from the VouchSafe downloads page.
The guide below will give you step-by-step instructions for installing and configuring VouchSafe on your PhpBB discussion board.
- First you need to merge the folders from the phpbb_vouchsafe.zip package with your phpBB installation. Unzip the phpbb_vouchsafe.zip archive, and copy the folders inside the “root” folder in the package. Paste them into the root folder of your phpBB installation. If prompted to do so, select the option to merge the folders. This will include the VouchSafe module content with the rest of your phpBB install.
- Log into the phpBB admin console, select the “System” tab, and press the “Add Module” button to add a new module.
- Integrate this new module with the phpBB default spam filter (CAPTCHA) module.
- Select the .MODS tab of the administration console, select “Spambot Countermeasures”, and select the VouchSafe module you just created. Press the “Configure” button to open the configuration panel for the VouchSafe module.
- You will be prompted to enter private and public key values for VouchSafe validation.
- If you haven’t already done so, log into your account on console.vouchsafe.com. If you don’t have an account, register for one by clicking on the “Register” tab.
- Once you’ve registered, you’ll have the option to change your password, or to create a new key pair. Press the “Create a new KeySet” button to set up VouchSafe for your domain.
- You’ll be presented with the management pop-up for a new keyset. Here you can type in your top-level domain name, and configure the way VouchSafe will be presented on your website. In general, you should not select the “Global” option, (this is for use where you want to be able to publish VouchSafe validated content on other websites).
You can select the button style, the interface style, and the background color for the VouchSafe pop-up. When you’re done, press the “Create KeySet” button to generate a key pair for your domain.
- You should now see the new key pair for your domain, (shown highlighted in the image below). These are the values you need to copy into the module configuration panel on your PhpBB website. You can always change the settings for your site later on by logging back into your account and pressing the “Edit” button for your keyset. If you wish, you can manage multiple domains from the same VouchSafe account by simply creating new keysets.
- Now simply paste your key values into the configuration panel for the VouchSafe plugin. Once you submit your key values, a VouchSafe button should appear in the “Preview” pane of your .MODS panel. Clicking the button should launch a VouchSafe challenge.
And that’s it. If you attempt to create a new user account or to post a new topic, you should now see the VouchSafe button just above the submit button for the form. If you click on the button, the VouchSafe challenge should appear with the color combinations you selected. In the picture shown here, we’re using the “gunmetal” interface with a black overlay.